- The new transatlantic air service options reflect MIA’s strategic efforts to expand its route map beyond traditional stronghold markets in Latin America and the Caribbean
- “Beginning this winter, MIA will proudly offer our customers more travel choices to Europe than ever before,” said Miami-Dade Aviation Director
- MIA currently offers direct flights to 14 cities in Europe, a number that will surge to 19 by early November
Miami International Airport (MIA) will welcome an impressive slate of new and expanded service offerings to key European destinations beginning in winter 2015. The upcoming additions are led by all-new scheduled service to Vienna, Austria and Istanbul, Turkey aboard Four-Star carriers Austrian Airlines and Turkish Airlines. Also on tap for travelers flying to and from Miami are: expanded seasonal flights to Munich aboard Lufthansa; expanded seasonal flights to Helsinki aboard Finnair; all-new Airbus A380 superjumbo service to London; and much more.
The new transatlantic air service options reflect MIA’s strategic efforts to expand its route map beyond traditional stronghold markets in Latin America and the Caribbean. Turkish Airlines’ new Miami-Istanbul service, in particular, gives Miami passengers incredible one-stop access to destinations throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East, including Israel. MIA passengers will also enjoy direct access to four cities in Germany when Air Berlin adds scheduled service to their namesake home city in November.
Full details on MIA’s upcoming European service additions are as follows:
- October 16: Austrian Airlines Miami-Vienna service inaugural (five weekly)
- October 25: Turkish Airlines Miami-Istanbul service inaugural (daily)
- October 25: British Airways Miami-London A380 superjumbo service inaugural (daily)
- October 25: Lufthansa expanded seasonal Miami-Munich service (six weekly through March 26)
- October 25: Air France expanded seasonal A380 superjumbo service to Paris (daily through March 25 when Boeing 777 service resumes)
- October 25: Swiss adds four additional weekly frequencies to their year-round daily Miami-Zurich flights (11 total per week) through November 30, when three more weekly flights (14 total per week/2 daily) will be added through May 25
- October 26: Finnair expanded seasonal Miami-Helsinki service begins (three weekly through March 26)
- November 5: Air Berlin scheduled Berlin service begins (two weekly)
“Beginning this winter, MIA will proudly offer our customers more travel choices to Europe than ever before,” said Miami-Dade Aviation Director Emilio T. González. “Whether it’s new destinations, new aircraft, expanded seasonal service or additional flights, Miami travelers – and our community as a whole –stand to benefit from these service upgrades.”
Additional air service to Europe is also on tap for 2016. Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) announced last month that it will offer scheduled nonstop service from Miami to Oslo and Copenhagen beginning next fall. MIA currently offers direct flights to 14 cities in Europe, a number that will surge to 19 by early November.