In 2018, 20 CKDs and 18 CERPIS were issued, totaling 7,584 million dollars in committed resources. In 2019 (as of November 25), only 4 CKDs and 6 CERPIs, totaling 1,818 million dollars, have been issued, which shows a significant drop in amount and number compared to the previous year.
The average committed amount of the last 5 years (2014-2018) has been 3,697 million dollars per year, which means that in 2018 it rose slightly more than double the average and in 2019 it takes half.
Much of the explanation for the 2018 boom is because it was the year on the eve of the presidential elections held in July 2018 and that in January 2018, CERPIs were allowed to invest 90% of the resources globally leaving only 10% locally. The fall in issues of CKDs and CERPIs in 2019 is explained by the change in the government where institutional investors are being more cautious in new investments in private equity.
Of the resources committed between 2018 and 2019, the General Partners (GP) have called only 27% on average and the rest, they will receive it in the coming years.
The value of the resources committed through CKDs and CERPIs is 24,767 million dollars of which 19,176 million dollars are CKDs and 5,590 million dollars are CERPIs which means that, with only two years of having authorized global investments for CERPIs, they already represent 23% of investments in private equity that reflects AFOREs remarkable interest in diversifying globally.
The number of CKDs, between 2008-2014 it did not exceed 10, while since 2015 the issuers fluctuated between 15 (lowest number) to 38 (highest last year).
Currently, CKDs and CERPIs represent 6.0% of the resources managed by AFOREs at market value and if the committed resources that will be delivered to the GPs are considered, the percentage almost doubles to reach 11.3 %. The maximum limit that the AFORE have for investing in this asset class is 18% on average according to the limits that each SIEFORE has, which leaves room for investments in private equity to continue growing.
With the numbers observed in 2019, we must recognize that CERPIs are being an option that competes with CKDs.
Column by Arturo Hanono