Last updated: 11:38 / Tuesday, 6 July 2021
Diversification strategy

Vontobel Completes de Purchase of TwentyFour AM by Acquiring the Remaining 40%

Image
  • After acquiring a 60% stake in the fixed income boutique in 2015, Vontobel had intended to buy the remaining 40% in two tranches in 2021 and 2023
  • TwentyFour will remain operationally independent and will continue to service its clients from offices in London and New York
  • The acquisition of this stake will be fully financed out of Vontobel’s own funds

Vontobel Asset Management has completed the purchase of TwentyFour Asset Management after securing the remaining 40% of its capital. After acquiring a 60% stake in the fixed income boutique in 2015, Vontobel had intended to buy the remaining 40% in two tranches in 2021 and 2023. However, it has beaten its own deadlines and has already accomplished the operation.

In a press release, Vontobel AM has explained that it has taken "targeted steps" in recent years to develop a diversified range of products for its clients, and one of the main pillars was the acquisition of a majority stake in TwentyFour Asset Management LLP (TwentyFour), now a 24.2 billion swiss francs specialist fixed income boutique. Both firms have now agreed that Vontobel will have acquired the remaining 40% in one tranche as of 30 June 2021.

TwentyFour and Vontobel are thus underscoring the very positive development of the partnership. "By bringing the transaction forward it gives clients and investors clarity and ensures focus remains on delivering outstanding performance and client service for the long term", the statement said.

After the transaction, TwentyFour will remain operationally independent and will continue to service its clients from offices in London and New York, as well as via Vontobel’s international network. Since the acquisition of the majority stake of 60% in 2015, all TwentyFour Partners have continued to play an active role in the company’s day-to-day operations. Besides, the asset manager has highlighted that the partners and portfolio management teams "remain committed to serving the interests of clients and ensuring the investment boutique’s ongoing success, hence will continue to serve as a driver of growth for Vontobel".

Both parties have agreed not to disclose the purchase price but have revealed that the acquisition of this stake will be fully financed out of Vontobel’s own funds. Part of the transaction will be paid in the form of Vontobel shares, further underscoring the commitment of TwentyFour’s Partners. 

“From the very beginning, we have been impressed by TwentyFour’s expertise and entrepreneurial culture, as well as its continuous growth. The acquisition of the remaining 40% stake is therefore the logical next step in our diversification and growth strategy. I look forward to our ongoing collaboration with our colleagues at TwentyFour, who are all supportive of this acquisition,” stated Zeno Staub, CEO of Vontobel.

Mark Holman, CEO of TwentyFour, claimed that after six years of working very closely together with Vontobel as a majority shareholder, the decision to move to full ownership was not a difficult one. "As a direct consequence of our partnership we have been able to spread our investment expertise to a far greater audience as we have moved from being a domestic player to genuinely global. Importantly though we have preserved the independence and entrepreneurial spirit of being a boutique, which I know is something that both our clients and staff really value and was at the core of our decision making for this transaction", he added.

TwentyFour was founded in 2008 as a partnership, and has since grown to employ around 75 staff, responsible for providing a broad range of fixed income products to institutional investors. It is known for its disciplined investment philosophy and its proven investment process that generates sustained attractive risk-adjusted returns. The firm’s funds have been rated by Morningstar, which has assigned 99% of them (asset weighted) a four- or five-star rating. Furthermore, the quality of its products has been recognized by a variety of industry awards.

menu